May happens to be Beef Month in Iowa, and what a great month to celebrate! We thought in honor of a great “holiday” we would share some facts you may not have known about the industry:
- The state of Iowa is home to 28,000 cattle operations varying from beef cattle, feedlots and dairy operations. Inputs for these operations are produced and purchased typically within the state or locally with the largest category of expenses being feed costs.
- Over nine percent of the dedicated acres Iowa plants to corn is used to feed our very own cattle in the state, and that does not include cornstalks used for feed!
- Iowa’s beef industry generated approximately $6.30 billion of economic activity in the state.
- On January 1, 2017, Iowa accounted for 3.85 million cattle and calves.
- The beef industry in our state generates an estimated 32,317 jobs and $1.36 billion in labor income.
There is a lot of pride that can be taken for raising these animals, and we at Two Rivers Cooperative are happy to help you with all your mineral and feed needs for them. We take pride in producing high-quality feed for our members to use on their operations to help this industry continue to thrive!